Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the deadlines and timelines associated with the internship application and hiring process?
- Recruitment and application submission period: September 1, 2015 – January 15, 2016
- Application packet deadline: January 15, 2016
- Telephone interviews: February 15-19, 2016
- Final selection / notifications: February 29, 2016
- Internship orientation in Anchorage, Alaska: May 9, 2016
- Internship term: May 9, 2016 - August 28, 2016
- Final intern presentations and exit interviews: August 4-18, 2016
What do I need to submit to Alyeska to be considered for the internship?
- Complete electronic internship application and submit via email.Previous years’ applications will not be accepted.
- Current resume.Include most recent educational, professional, and volunteer experience.
- Copy of official college grade transcripts.Include current semester/term/quarter upon completion. Recent high school graduates enrolled in Fall 2015, submit final official high school transcripts. If currently enrolled in Fall 2015 semester, submit official grade transcripts AFTER completing the semester. Packets that include official transcripts before final grades for Fall 2015 semester are reflected, will not be considered as complete.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation.Must be dated within 12 months of current internship application. May be from a teacher, professor, supervisor, mentor, or other individual who you have experience with on an educational or professional level. May not be from a family member, spouse or friend. References must include date, name and contact information of the person providing the reference. Although we prefer to receive application packets in their entirety from students, reference letters may be sent separately directly to us from the person providing the reference.
- Personal Statement.One page, double-spaced, 12 pt. font. State reasons for requesting internship. Summarize personal and educational history, accomplishments, and demonstrated leadership experience. Explain how the degree program and internship correspond with career goals.
- EEO Form (voluntary).Alyeska has an equal opportunity affirmative action program. To help Alyeska in its efforts to comply with the program’s reporting requirements, please complete and submit the voluntary EEO form.
Does Alyeska accept unofficial grade transcripts, unsealed official grade transcripts, or electronic grade transcripts? While grade transcripts must be official, i.e. signed or attested to by the school’s registrar, we do not need the original sealed official grade transcript and will accept a copy of the official grade transcript. A link emailed directly from the school that allows us to access and print students’ transcripts is also preferred.
Can I send in my official grade transcripts separately?Alyeska prefers that all required documentation accompany the application in one complete packet, as we receive a large volume of applications each year. If a student is unable to obtain a copy of Official Grade Transcripts before the application deadline/postmarked by January 15, 2016, the following is requested: A copy of the Transcript Request which shows the date requested as prior to the deadline; An “unofficial” transcript will be accepted as temporary with the expectation a “Copy” of the “Official” Transcript will follow.
What type of internship will I be placed in?Alyeska closely match interns’ interests and major with available assignments, which vary each year.
How much will I be paid?Hourly rates of pay are based upon education level (i.e., Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate).
Does Alyeska provide travel to and from Alaska?No. Interns are responsible for their own transportation to and from Alaska. Additionally, interns are responsible for their own transportation to and from each worksite with the exception of the Pump Stations.
Does Alyeska provide housing for interns? Dorm housing is provided in Valdez, AK at the Prince William Sound Community College. However, Alyeska cannot guarantee availability beyond the first week in August. Housing is also provided at the Pump Stations for the entire internship period. Housing is not provided in Anchorage or Fairbanks.
How will I know when my application is received?Alyeska will send an email confirming receipt of a complete or incomplete application packet.
How will I be contacted? Alyeska will contact all applicants via email and phone so it is important to provide current contact information.
Does Alyeska hire international students?Yes. However, applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. See pages 3 & 4 of the Department of Homeland Security, Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, which indicates the documents that must be provided to verify eligibility. Open the following link to access the form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf.
Does Alyeska require drug screening for Internships? Yes, for all positions including the internship program: PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TESTING INFORMATION. As indicated, employment with Alyeska is contingent upon successfully passing a background investigation, and a physical examination. Alyeska requires pre-employment drug testing utilizing hair test collections for all positions. The preferred collection site is from the head (approximately 1/2 inch of hair length necessary). Head hair testing provides an approximate 90 day window of detection that checks for prohibited drug use. Additionally, urinalysis testing is required for Department of Transportation covered positions. Positive drug test results makes applicants ineligible for employment with Alyeska or on TAPS. It is important to note that Alyeska does not seek or accept any genetic information as part of the hair testing procedure or any other process that could directly or inadvertently provide genetic information (family medical history).
Do I need a Transportation Worker Identification (TWIC) card to work for Alyeska as an intern?Only if the internship assignment is located in Valdez, AK.Alyeska’s Valdez Marine Terminal (VMT) is a regulated facility and any employee hired to work on the VMT or to provide emergency support or other approved work for the VMT will be required to have a TWIC card. An application, background check, scheduled appointment and fee applies. The fee for the TWIC card will be reimbursed by Alyeska. For more information about this Federal credential, visit http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm.
How do I contact Alyeska about the internship program? WEB:www.alyeska-pipe.com| EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org| FAX: (907) 787-8448 | PHONE: (907) 787-8117 | MAILING ADDRESS: Alyeska Pipeline Service Company - Internship Program - P.O. Box 196660, MS 536 - Anchorage, AK 99519-6660